Question
Posted by: Chloe | 2011/08/24

Rude Boss

My boss is an old dog literally and figuratively.

Everytime he has something to correct (inevitably his error) he goes YOU, YOUR error, YOU did, YOU didn''t, YOU lost it...
He makes it personal and he moans about nothing at all. HR calls him a nagger.
How do you deal with and make a person like this stop making it personal?

He also has the habit of moaning at me in-front of anyone staff or auditors or whatever. HR says it is not right.

HR - super and they do nothing about it.

I have thought of just going Excuse Me and walking off. When I come back he will ask what is about. I will say you made the " issue"  personal and I am not comfortable with it. Or you were beginning to complain in-front of others and I am not comfortable with that.

Please help. I am now so ratty and irritated I could cheerfuly tell him to put his job where it fits best.

If you literally mean "literally" then this is a most interesting business, and say Woof to him from me. I hope he smells better than most old dogs.
Anyhow, he apparently refuses to take personal responsibility except for anything that is definitely correct and successful. What an insecure old puppy he is.
But the power is in your hands. He barks and moans, but you are entirely free not to take it personally, any more than you feel awfully insulted if a neighbour's dog barks at you. Just think to yourself, "Ach shame, there he goes again". It sounds as though everyone recognizes what he's like, and nobody else takes it seriously. His remarks are like the old dog's body odour. We put up with it, without liking it, and without taking it personally. He's not actually making things personal to you, but making them not personal to him ; apparently his ego is so fragile that he couldn't bear to think he ever made an error.
However, I don't think a scratch behind his ears would help. But if he strats humping people's legs, surely HR will just have to do something about it ?

1