Posted by: Christina | 2009-07-20

I recently visited my gynea and part of the routine check up was a rubella immunity test.
To my horror he called me back on Thursday to say that my results indicate that I contracted german measles in the last 6 weeks!
As I had no symptoms I called my GP who requested the results and has confirmed the findings.
Is this possible and if so, is there a possibility that I am still ill?
Many of my friends are pregnant and my niece is 18 months so I am very concerned.

Dear Christina
My gut feeling is to ask you to repeat the blood test - it is highly unlikely that you will get GM without a rash or even a flu like disease. They test IGG and IGM - positive IGG means you had it long ago or you had a vaccination, positive IGM means you had it recently.
Just double check - could be lab mistake?