Question
Posted by: Maria | 2011/04/29

Royal wedding fever

Hey CS

Do you have a theory on why the world is so captivated by the royal wedding? Why do people who value democracy so highly still go dilly over a royal family who arguably are a drain on their country''s finances and don''t do nearly enough to earn their considerable keep? I''m not being hypocritical here, I must admit that I am also interested in the spectacle, I''m just wondering about our motives!

Scratches to kitty. One of mine is sitting on my lap as I type, a sign of how cold it is here in Cape Town as he isn''t normally a lap sitter.

Well, most of us really want to be captivated by something wholesome. And maybe we're all the more free to go dilly over someone else's royalty, as its costing THEIR people more money, not ours.
And the expense of a president with a number of lavishly looked after wives is similar to that of a royal family, with none of the benefits. I have seen calculations that the British Royals bring in more from tourism, etc., than they cost. I haven't yet met many overseas tourists who came here to see the Zuma's drive by. I mean no disrespect to the presidential family, by the way, only to point out that it caries a higher than needed cost, with far more limited returns than some of the older monarchies.
And isn;'t it nice to have headlines and stories that are no about elections or bombings or crime ?
I notice my cat is also very temperature sensitive, not only sittin on me more intimately as the weather cools, but also sunbahing and discovering that the top of the TV or decoder is a warm place if I'm vertical !

12
Posted by: anon | 2011/05/05

LOL Zee exactly!!! They THINK they are royalty because they are on the long gravy train with all the corruption buddies they have - the current uneducated included! It is a joke! No one should be allowed to enter the political arena until they have at least.... 3 or 4 degrees, law, included. It is a total embarrassment as they can''t string a decent sentence together.

Oh boy! What a joke! No wonder Africa is knows as the dark continent, not because of darkness in colour but of the evil darkness that exists here. People like Mugabe who robs the country kills his own countrymen blatantly destroys the whole country and its nearest neighbour welcomes him with open arms. Mugabe should be incarcerated and tortured until death - held for war crimes. Very little good comes out of Africa. Sorry but it is true. It is really the most sadest places to live. All the starving HIV AIDS/ poverty - and the anger and rage crime and all blamed on apartheid or colonialism. I guess in 1000 years they will still blame the past instead of just getting on with life!

There is no way in hell this place will every improve - after they have ribbed us off - literally taken all our property, money and sucked the blood dry out of our bodies will they be happy!

Who are the racists? You only have to read the newspapers. What comes out of the ANC - wow! Incredible!

They can''t even deliver any decent services but they take our money! Look at how well the royal wedding was organised all the security and the people were on the most well behaved. If we had a royal wedding here I wonder what would happen? We would have burning trains/smashed cars and houses - who knows people stabbd and killed!

While I am on my high horse I will also like to add the high electricity costs :-

ESKOM TARIFF INCREASE:

Apparently it will be 45% increase each year for 3 years!

Total 135% over 3 years.

It has already been increased by about 100%

Your account will look like this over 3 years:
2008 R1500.00
2009 R3000.00
2010 R4350.00
2011 R6307.50
2012 R9145.00

Now if that is not highway robbery then what is?

For those not SouthAfrican/African born you can return to your countries of birth, for the rest of us we have nowhere to go.

What do we do? Well we need to just grin and bear it or revolt or what?

Any suggestions? Take tranquilizers, sleeping pills to stay sane?

Live like a prisoner with no freedom at all? No only the criminals have all the freedom and " human rights"  The rest of us humans are treated liked criminals.

Give me the British Royals any day... what a breath of fresh air.... at least they

cultured

Reply to anon
Posted by: jskr | 2011/05/05

I watched a documentary where they worked out that the Royal family only cost each citizen of Britain 69 cents PER YEAR. I think our government take much more than that...

Reply to jskr
Posted by: Trev | 2011/05/04

There is no way that anyone in SA can point a finger at the Royals, or the UK, or its people[possibly one of the finest nations ever to have existed],or anyone in a first world country,they are in a different league.SA is in a sad state, twenty five percent in abject poverty,nearly 65 percent below the bread line, cabinet ministers riding on the gravy train.
I am a South african of British descent, and am very proud of my ancestry, and I am sure that I am not alone in my sentiments.

Reply to Trev
Posted by: Truth | 2011/05/03

Getting excited about the UK royal wedding is a bit daft.
Getting excited about Zumas daughters wedding is completely stupid!

Reply to Truth
Posted by: Zee | 2011/05/03

Since when is Zuma''s daughter Royalty too? Its amazing how they go on about the western world in Africa etc. yet it suits them to get married in designer dresses and outfits. Listen to JM preach yet he is kitted out in designer suits. You want to be produly african, wear animal skins for your wedding.

Reply to Zee
Posted by: To Anon from Romany | 2011/05/03

Now you see exactly HOW MUCH I think ofthe so called " Royal Wedding" . So little that I would rather watch zuma''s daughter getting married. In fact.... even less

Reply to To Anon from Romany
Posted by: anon | 2011/05/01

Zuma is draining the taxpayers of this country with his harem of wives and not to mention children! What a joke! Who in their right mind would want to watch his daughter''s wedding?

The royal wedding is typical of a fairy tale romance and dream come true for so many people. It was enjoyable to watch from a distance, wouldn''t like to be caught up in all those throngs of crowds... with their awful weather what else do they have to look forward to? Hmmm yes I enjoyed it. I watched Diana''s wedding and it was rather poignant to watch her eldest son''s wedding. I felt for him, as it was such a great pity Diana''s died so young and couldn''t share in the enjoyment of seeing her son get married to such a lovely woman.

She has class and style which Zuma doesn''t have nor will any of his family have. They can spend what they want - it is an embarrassment to even read about that lavish wedding when the country is starving!

Disgusting too for the daughter who supposedly works for an NGO for underpriviledged mothers.... money would have been better spent donated to charity.

The difference here is the Africans have their hands out to first world countries begging for money and freebies....

The first world countries are a different kettle of fish, no comparison.

Reply to anon

Posted by: Sceptic | 2011/04/29

Yes, I was not going to watch it but ended up in front of the TV.. yikes!!!!

Reply to Sceptic
Posted by: ROMANY | 2011/04/29

Yes, I too find it " strange" .

To me the marraige of Zuma''s daughter last weekend was much more exciting.

It is amazing how many South Africans all of a sudden have " British Roots" .

It is stupid, it is expensive and pretentious.

Reply to ROMANY
Posted by: QQ | 2011/04/29

What wedding?

Reply to QQ
Posted by: Maria | 2011/04/29

I just saw the piece you wrote about it. I still find it strange.

Reply to Maria