Question
Posted by: Christa | 2011-07-14

rowing

In todays Health tip they say that rowing is a very good exercise, but only if you do it correctly / use body parts correctly. Any advise what the correct use is?

Hi Christa

The good tip is to use the whole body - drive with the legs, and don't rely only on the arms and back, which is the mistake most do. The movement is leg-driven, not arm driven, so focus on that - it's a drive from the upper legs, and the pull by the arms.

In terms of a "thing to avoid", it's to flex too much at the back - it's related to the tip above, but you can really put big strain on the back if you pull too much. So concentrate on keeping the core nice and firm - back straight, not arched or bent over and head high.

Good luck!
Ross

3
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011-07-24

Hi Christa

Good luck!
Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: Mirriam | 2011-07-15

What''s the right way of using the row? I usually breath in when i pull the chain to the back and release when i go to the front, which way is the right one.

Reply to Mirriam
Posted by: Marthie | 2011-07-14

I just bought a rowing machine yesterday because I believe its the best exercise you can get and I''m talking about experience from years back in the gym. I do however developed a hip problem and wasn''t able to exercise properly in the past few years. I am due for a hip replacement and therefore want to know if this exercise will have a negitive impact on my hip at all or can I go for gold...?

Thank you,

Marthie

Reply to Marthie