Posted by: Louise | 2012-03-28

routine exam

I am married for 11 years now, and have always taken my husband with me to the gynae, She was great and welcomed him, but after she immigrated, she was replaced by a younger male doc that asked my husband to leave the examination room, is it not my choice to a chaperone, as he didnt supply one, and even if he had offered one, is it still not my choce. I then spoke to the receptionist that said most gynaecologists will not allow my husband in the exam room because of privacy issues, how could this be so, as my husband has obviously sees me naked, what is the issue with a husbands presence in the gynae fraternity

The privacy issue is not about seeing you naked but about the confidentiality of the doctor patient relationship. If you wanted to tell the doctor something about your husband it would be awkward if he was there. Likewise if the doctor found you had an STD, for example, telling you this in front of your husband could bring up all kinds of problems in your relationship, such as him questioning your fidelity or you questioning his.

Posted by: Louise | 2012-04-03

If the doctor found I had an STD it would bring up all kinds of problems anyway, but the doc will allow husband in discussion, just not examination, if that was the cas, they should allow my husband in examination, and after exam while I am getting dressed, he can wait outside, when I discuss the exam with my doctor. I think it is ridiculous, as I thr customer should have the choice. I somehow think Gynaes sometimes make this examination even more intimate than it is, by including a huge privacy issue between husband and wife.

Reply to Louise