Question
Posted by: Tania | 2008/08/15

Round Shoulders

What causes round shoulders ( except bad posture )? I have had it as long as I can remember and I am 35 now. Is there something one can do to rectify the problem? I am very self-consious about it and always try to remember to walk up straight.

Thanks,

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Tania,

The shape of one's shoulders is determined by the collar bone and the overlying muscles. When you refer to "round shoulders " are you indicating a "drooping " shoulder or "sloping " shoulder? it is unlikely that one would be able to change the shape of the shoulder at your age. Please look at our website : www.shoulderinstitute.co.za and feel free to send a digital photo of your shoulders to the question and answer section for further comment

Regards.

Dr Joe de Beer