Question
Posted by: Max | 2010/09/13

Rottweiler family dog

Hi, We have a 10 week old Rottweiler and 1 year old baby. I started taking the Rotti for dog training and he started growling at me when I laid him oh his back. We are continuing the training at home. The dog trainer advised that we give the dog away as he has temperament issues already. Do you think we can correct this with regular training and socialisation? Or will keeping him be a bigger danger? Thanks

Hi Max

I would take note of what the trainer has said but I would also ask the opinion of other senior trainers/behaviourists before making a decision.

3
Posted by: George | 2010/09/15

Having had more than 7 Rotties in my time, Ihave NEVER had a 10 week old pup who growls. hat is NOT a normal trait for a Rottie. They are incredible family dogs - with children and other pets. Need to know their place in the pack with training - which is what you are trying to do. Take Cybervets advice fast - andshould you need to rehome him, he is still at a good age for this - ideal new home would be without children and someone who wants to work the dog - training, training and training.

Reply to George
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/09/14

Hi Max

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Chill | 2010/09/13

The trainer should surely be able to recognise the signs.

Is it really worth the risk, with a baby around?

Reply to Chill