Question
Posted by: Anon | 2011-05-26

Rottweiler

Hi there, my rotti is +- 3 years old. We tried alot of times to teach him to walk on a leash, but when we are in the street he gets so excited about the other dogs barking or he will just lie down and won''t move.

Is it to late to teach him. When he was a puppy we couldn''t really cause where I stay you can''t walk alone. I don''t think anyone will try anything now cause my dog will bite someone he doesn''t know.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Anon, nice to hear from you and the old saying 'you can teach an old dog new tricks' definately applies!
This is not something i can really give info on the forum as it is pretty details, but do get in touch with a behaviourist and you will have this sorted out in no time - both the being scared of people and the walking. What you need to realize is this poor child is acting out of fear, and when he is taught a different way of acting and desensitized to people, his behaviour will change accordingly. You can Google canine behaviour consultant and find somebody in your area or contact me via my e-mail and i will put you in touch with somebody, good luck, Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011-05-26

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert