Question
Posted by: Charlotte | 2011/06/28

Rottie''s food

My 3yr old Rottie brought up from 6weeks old with Hills, initially large breed puppy and switched to large breed adult. My financial situation changed and I could not afford Hills and so for the past 6 months he is eating Vets Choice, but I feel terribly guilty, he was a very expensive pet and I want only the best for him, Twice a week he gets, rice, mixed veggies and chicken livers, on Saturdays he has a smoked bacon bone. He is well built, has a lovely shiny coat and has never been sick. Am i doing the right thing with his feed now? He swims every day and drinks water from the pool!! that concerns me a lot as he will not drink from his bowl. He sleeps in the enclosed bar area and the door is open for him to go outside whenever he wants. He is not only a guard dog but a companion for the family and he is allowed in the house in the evenings and sits by my side on the couch. I am just worried that he might develop hip and other illnesses if not fed Hills?

Thanks for your input! Best regards

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Charlotte, please dont feel guilty, you are giving your dog the very best you can afford and it is a good quality food. What I would suggest is rather start to cut down and then cut out the extras's (except for bone) you are feeding. Dog foods such as you are using are scientifically formulated with correct protein/fat, mineral, vitamins and amino acids etc and when we add in other things we tend to upset that balance. What i would suggest instead is to put aside some nice pieces of chicken, meat etc (leftovers) and use these when you do training or teach him tricks etc. With regard to the bone, my own preference is a large sized Ox femur that you can get from the butcher. It doesnt tend to break easily and you can pop in the fridge, better than a pork bone which can go otherwise quickly.
With regard to the pool water, check with your vet if that is the only water he is getting. Most dogs drink from the pool occassionally and I am honestly not sure whether large amounts could harm him. What you can do to get him to drink out of a bowel is to make the pool out of bounds for a few days and offer him water in two ways 1. use a new bowl which may change his perception and also try lifting it up a bit higher. This sometimes helps some dogs.
Make sure that he gets plently of exercise by way of nice stimulating walks to keep his weight down which will help to build muscle, keep him lean. Overweight dogs tend to be more prone to hip and elbow problems than lean ones. Also check with your vet if he wants the dog to go onto any additives to add to the food. Good luck, this boy sure has landed himself in a lovely home - congrats! Thks Scotty

3
Posted by: Charlotte | 2011/06/28

Many thanks for your much appreciated advice and input, I will surely do what you suggested and will let you know how we are doing. Yes, Bullet is just a wonderful dog! Best regards

Reply to Charlotte
Posted by: Charlotte | 2011/06/28

My apologies, think I was to direct my question the the cyber vet!
thanks anyway

Reply to Charlotte
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/06/28

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert