Posted by: Sharkey | 2009-06-02

My daughter was sick last week for the whole week with gastro and my GP said she thinks it' s rotavirus, I did the test on Friday but from Friday my daughter was better and by Saturday she was back to her normal self, ating and her runny tummy was a thing of the past. My GP told me now taht they found the rotavirus in the stool sample. My question is what now? My daughter goes to creche and i am scared about the other kids and what do I do now, do I just leave it or must I go get the injection again?

Dear Sharkey
If she is better now and she does not have any more diarrhoea, she can go back to school and she does not need another vaccination - she will have immunity against this strain of rotavirus now. Tell the school that they need to encourage the kids to wash hands after using the toilet and not to share things like towels and washcloths

What injection? the vaccine or what r you talking about? there is a rotavirus vaccine fairly new on the market, i believe its very effective because when my eldest was born 6 yrs ago they did not have it, she had rotavirus very bad at 13m, my son had the vaccine and he is over 2 and has never had any gastro problems, i believe that vaccine helped him, you have to have two of them? If her gastro is over she should not be infective to other kids, dont bother worrying about that, she probably got it at creche anyways, creche' s are sewages.