Posted by: Pain | 2009-08-10

Rotator Cuff

My husband has been told that his rotator cuffs (both shoulders) are torn. He has been told that he needs surgery to repair. The issue is that muscles have been pulling since about 11 years ago. He has pulled both his biceps (never repaired) a couple of times and his calf muscles too. He cannot have the operation at this stage due to earning difficulties and all the pain relief medication has done nothing for him (lentogesic, Synop Forte etc). I guess the issue is that not all people can afford the surgery - how can we manage pain? Will it repair itself? and third question in my mind is: what is lacking in the body that the muscles keep on snapping like this. Even if I did afford the surgery, how can I stop this from happening again?
Would really appreciate any guidance you can give us.

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Pain,

a tear of the rotator cuff never heals and in fact the tear can progress to a point where it can become irrepairable.
My best advice is that you consult with a surgeon who is experienced in treating those tears either privately or at the state hospital. Do have a look at our website: and specifically at Rotator cuff tears for more information

Dr Joe de Beer