Question
Posted by: Rose | 2009/07/29

Rosê 

I am still in the process of lossing weigth, excerise 4 times a week. On occasionally I have some Four Cousins Rosê  - 2 or 3 glasses at most over the weekend - will this hamper my weight loss. I will have it about once a month or so.

Dear Rose
If drinking the wine does not increase your energy intake too much, which it should not do if you have it only once a month, then this should not hamper weightloss. But keep in mind that wine contains about 300 kJ per 100 ml, so if you are having about 3 x 100ml glasses this will provide you with 900 kJ on that specific day which is about 14% of your daily energy intake. Alcohol in general has a high energy content of 29 kJ per gram, which is second only to fat which provides 37 kJ per gram. Alcohol should, therefore, be used sparingly if you are trying to lose weight.