Posted by: Kelly | 2013-01-15

roosters in urban areas

Hi, are there any laws against keeping roosters in urban areas? My neighbour is keeping one practically next to my bedroom window and it crows all through the day and especially very, very early in the morning. I dont know how to handle this, its driving me crazy.....

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

Although you can keep a small number of chickens in most residential areas, it is almost always unacceptable to keep a rooster because of the noise and nuisance factor, and you should absolutely not have to put up with this. There are different bylaws governing noise and keeping backyard poultry in different parts of the country, so you would need to contact your local municipality and speak to their law enforcement or environmental health department. Try speaking to your neighbour first though, and say that unfortunately unless they find another home for the rooster you will have to make a formal complaint. Let me know how it goes!

We have the same problem. The only difference is that after 6 months the neighbour still has his rooster. I can't seem to find anything in the bylaws explicitly prohibiting roosters. Would we need to prove that the noise is constant and disturbing our sleep?

Posted by: issy | 2013-11-26

Hi please can someone help with any contact numbers my neighbours has 3 roosters and they keep me up at all hours of the morning. I'm based in Durban

Reply to issy | 1 comment (hide)

Report them to Metro Police

Posted by: Kelly | 2013-01-25

Thanks for the advice! I spoke to the home owner who said he''d speak with his renters and for a while nothing happened. I tried to speak to the people themselves but I always seemed to miss them, finally my dad ran into the lady and she said that they had a friend coming to pick it up, but she''ll ask him to come sooner. Apparantly someone else complained as well. This morning I got woken up by my alarm clock, and I''ve never been happier to hear it! I''m glad I didn''t need to make a formal complaint, but I did see our municipality has a bylaw against noisy birds and animals.

Reply to Kelly