Posted by: Ronell | 2009-01-23

Rooibos tea and calcuim/iron

Hi,thanx for answering my Q about rooibos tea,now i have another.I read somewhere that drinking alot of rooibos actually takes calcuim or iron(cant remember which) out of your systom.
Is it true? Imdrinking about 2L a day.

Dear Ronell
Any food or drink that contains compounds called polyphenols (which are powerful antioxidants) may bind with minerals like calcium and iron and make them difficult to absorb. This applies to drinking rooibos, black and green tea, wine, etc. Make sure that you drink these teas between meals if you have a problem with iron or calcium absorption. I trust that your liquid intake is not more than 2,5 litre a day?? if so, you could be washing important minerals like potassium, sodium, magnesium and even calcium out of your body. Do not overdo your total liquid intake.

Posted by: Zexeon | 2009-01-24

It hamper the absorbtion of iron as do normal tea although rooibos is a better choice of the two seeing its full of anti-oxidants. 2 l could be way to much you might want to consider cutting back on your consumption of tea.

Reply to Zexeon