Posted by: Sam | 2009-01-14

Rooibos tea

Im on a nwe health diet,drinking alot of rooibos tea.Im a chef,so work in a hot kitchen the whole day.I drink about a 2L of black rooibos with 2 Tablespoons of sugar(in the 2L) and about 200ml of lemon juice.How healthy is it? Will it help me lose weight?
Im also on alot of chronic medication for depression,can it help with my liver function?

Dear Sam
If you read this week's Diet Topic on "Protect your heart with Rooibos Tea" (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page to read this week's Topic), then you will see that Rooibos tea is an excellent beverage that contains high levels of antioxidants that can protect the body against so-called oxidative stress and therefore will also protect against degenerative diseases. Drinking black Rooibos tea with lemon and a bit of sugar is a healthy habit and it will probably assist your liver to cope with the chronic meds you take for depression. So far there is no evidence that Rooibos tea assists with weightloss (there is some evidence that green tea does promote weightloss). Depression as such and some antideppressants can cause weight gain or hamper weightloss, so discuss your treatment with your prescribing dr in case the medications are contributing to your weight gain. Eat low-fat foods and try to get some regular exercise despite the long hours I know you have to work.