Posted by: NT | 2009-08-03

Romeo Juliet

Hi Cybershrink,

I am mid twenties and currently seeing a stunning woman a year younger than me. We have been together for about 9 months now and things are getting serious. I have a problem with my folks though. They dont seem to like the girl whatsoever. When i call them, they never ask how she is and never seem to take an interest in my love life. They have stated that we come from very different backgrounds, her being afrikaans, and they cite that religion is a problem. She is not catholic and they see this as a problem. I get on really well with her folks and they have welcomed me into their home without any issues.

Is this non-interest from my parents side possibly linked to the fact that i live far from home and am working in a different part of the country? How do i handle this situation? I am sure that i could marry my girlfriend but the fact that my folks don' t approve concerns me and puts a dampener on my plans.

Such differences CAN be a problem, but really only in two circumstances --- (a) when both partners actually are bothered by the differences themselves, and fail to work out a way of handling these ; and (b) when the pair live in a prejudiced community which can create problems for them about whatever the differences are.
Perhaps the fact that you are physically distant from your parents has limited their ability to get to know and appreciate the woman in your life. Is there a possibility of the pair of you visiting your home and getting to know them ?
What do other readers think ?