Question
Posted by: M | 2010-05-11

Rolloer Coaster

CS. I started a new job on Monday. It is totally opposite to what I am qualified to do. Very stressful for me. I was at home with the kids for a number of years, working from home. Now both kids had to go to aftercare. I am separated from my husband. I am finding it very difficult to deal with it all. The kids are so emotional about everything. I hardly have the energy to deal with the demands of learning a very different skill, let alone deal with their emotional states. But, I don''t have a choice. My husband is also putting pressure on me to return to him. It adds to the stress. It feels like I have to make the decision to leave over and over. I am battling with all the emotion &  pressure.

How did they come to appoint you to a post that's the opposite of what you're qualified for or expected to do ? Isn' there an HR person or dept that ought to deal with this ? If they're expecting you to work in new ways, they are supposed to provide training to help you to learn to do this.
Is the real problem to do with the actual nature of this job, or the difficulty in re-adjusting to being back at work after this time, and to the life changes of the separation and the pressure to return to him ? Maybe some counselling to help you cope better with the troubling aspects of your private life would help both there and in the job ?

1