Question
Posted by: Me | 2008/10/29

rollercoaster

I have been so emotional for weeks and weeks now. I am not sure if it is depression of some kind or if I maybe just am under stress and ' hormonal' .
My little 3yr boy and I live alone together and in the evenings when I get home from work, I feel so caged in and isolated in our house. I also have no energy to play and interact with him, I just feel like lying on the couch, or sleeping. I can see he picks up on my mood because he has been so whiney lately. He whines in the morning before school, at home after school, even wakes up at night moaning. He doesnt sleep well at night normally, but the constant whining is not his normal self. And the more he whines the more upset and stressed I feel. I cannot even get up in the mornings, it is getting worse every day. I just want to lie in bed and sleep. I cant face going to work. And Im so tired all the time.
I am dealing with lots of issues in the office too, and have a lot of responsibility with nasty people to deal with. I am also having a very hard time financially, and my sons dad is giving me problems, not pitching for visitations etc. I feel my life is never going to improve and there is no light at the end of the tunnel.
Im on the verge of tears all the time. I dont know what to do, i feel my mood is upsetting and affecting my little boy. Is it as easy as ' make the effort'  to go through the motions and I will start feeling better?

His whininess could be a reaction to your own unhappiness. You sound as though you could well be Depressed ; fortunately this is a condition which responds well to proper treatment. See a good local shrink if at all possible ; otherwise a good local GP, for assessment and a discussion of treatment options. Its typical of depression that early on its robs us of the ability to see the possibilities tht things can and will get better.
No, you need more than just to make a major effort to go through the motions --- with proper treatment, the depression will lift, and it won't be an effort any more, and your boy will be happier too.

And try to Parenting Forum here on H24, to see what other parents may suggest.