Question
Posted by: Cindy | 2012/05/21

Rolled oats

Hi, I''ve been reading good things about eating rolled oats for breakfast. Are Jungle Oats (not the oatso easy variety) rolled oats? I read that Jungle Oats rolled otas are very refined which makes them higher in calories, is this true? Could you please reccomend good rolled oats? Many thanks!

Dear Cindy
To my knowledge, oats are milled by passing them through rollers, which is where the expression "rolled oats" comes from. Oats as such as rich in soluble dietary fibre which helps to lower blood cholesterol levels. I do not think there is much of a difference between rolled oats which you cook to make a standard oats porridge and instant oats, but there is a difference in the glycaemic index (GI). As regards the GI of oats, Oats-so-Easy, natural flavour by Jungle has a GI of 54, oat bran eaten raw has a low GI of 55, while most of the cooked oats porridges have a medium GI of about 62-68, and cooked oat bran has a high GI of 73 and certain oat porridges may have an even higher GI. Please keep in mind that the GI of any cereal product can be lowered by eating the cereal or porridge with milk or yoghurt.
Enjoy

1

Dear Cindy
Enjoy