Posted by: Erna | 2009-10-08

Role of protein

Dietdoc, do you have an example of a HEALTHY high protein diet for slimming? I find that one portion of protein (egg, meat) keeps me fuller for longer than one portion of low GI carbohydrates (eg. bread, baked beans, high fibre cereal). If I eat a hardboiled egg for breakfast, I don' t even think of food till 4 hours later. And if I increase the protein content of my other meals (red or white mea, together with vegatables and/or fruit), I don' t crave anything afterwards. I am worried about the higher kilojoule value, though, and that is why I' m wondering if you have a good balanced, but higher protein, lower carbo, diet for me, please.

Dear Erna
I don't have an example of a low-fat, moderately high protein diet for slimming on this Website. However, most low-GI diets do use a low-fat protein such as boiled or poached egg, very lean meat (white poultry meat without the skin, ostrich, pork without any visible fat), fish and low-fat or fat-free diary products to supply protein which has a low-GI at each meal. Check at your bookstore if you can obtain one of the low-GI diet books by Gaby Steenkamp or visit the Website of The Glycemic Index Foundation of SA at: for additional information about low-GI eating and to order the books.