Question
Posted by: Barbara | 2009/05/08

Robbery

Hallo My friend was robbed last weekend. It was about 2am. Her husband, daughter and herself woke up at about 6 am feeling very groggy. The robbers burnt something that even made their dogs sleep. Luckily they weren' t raped or hit or anything. The problem she is they are on a cheap medical aid and it doesn' t cover visits to psycologists. What can they do themselves to help get over the fear of the breakin?

Horrible experience for everyone. I have always said tha the Government should not allow any Medical Aid NOT to provide psychiatric and psychological cover. They should check, as it may be that they would be allowed to see a psychiatrist ( who is a medical doctor ), and at least let the Medical Aid, knowing the circumstances, refuse to help, rather than assuming that they will. They should obviously also be checked physically to be sure they're OK after whatever it was they inhaled.
As Liza says, check with the Depression and Anxiety helpline. and Lifeline, who may know of some free or afordable service accessable to them. Obviously they will want attention soon, but shouldn't worry that this wasn;t immediate. Claims that have been made that "trauma or crisis debriefing" should be given as soon as possible to prevent later problems have been proved to be false, and indeed Debriefing of the sort usually sold, seems to have the potential for making things worse. But ordinary psychological counselling and care, within the first week or so, is more likely to be useful. And in the meantime, they may not suffer serious long-term effects, even though they are understandably upset and scared right now, and being free to talk IF AND WHEN they want to, to family and friends, will be the most helpful. Too often, people assume that something terribly fancy and skilled is needed, an actually withdraw from such crime victims, whereas a friendly caring response from neighbours and friends is very helpful indeed

3
Posted by: Kelly | 2009/05/10

If this was reported to the police they should' ve given you the details for trauma counseling. It' s cheap &  it was effective.

Reply to Kelly
Posted by: Liza | 2009/05/08

I fullheartedly agree with CS that the friendly and concerned attention received from friends and family is already a MAJOR help. I' ve been burgled twice. Once was with the whole family sleeping and also drugged with an inhalant. With the support of friends and family, we got through fine. My children have been to see a psychologist quite a few times already since the divorce, but this specific burglary did not cause them undue distress (except that my oldest was very unhappy cause they stole his cellphone). While my boys were staying with their dad however, my oldest caught a burglar in the act in the early hours one morning. He screamed, which woke up his dad and his dad came running, caught the burglar and proceeded to beat the burglar up. That incident caused my son sleepless nights for 6 months during which he did receive counselling.

Depending on the person, I would think that some people find it more intrusive and problematic if they are victims of a crime where there is violence.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Liza | 2009/05/08

They could call the Depression and Anxiety helpline. The people there will be able refer them for counselling. Lifeline should also be able to help with this. Sorry I can' t help more.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza