Posted by: Martie | 2009-06-18

Roasted peanuts

Dear Doc
I read on Wikipedia that roasted peanuts is very healthy as it contains large amounts of antioxidants.
I would just like to know what is roasted peanuts exactly?
Is it the normal peanuts, salted and sometimes with raisins, that one finds in the grocery isle next to the chips? Those does not look especially healthy to me? Or is there another type of roasted peanut they are referring to?
Thanks for you help!!
Kind regards

Dear Martie
Peanuts are sold raw or roasted. The raw peanuts are much paler and do not have a shiny appearance like the roasted peanuts. The shiny appearance is due to the oil the peanuts are roasted in. All nuts, including peanuts are excellent foods, being rich in plant protein, B vitamins and monounsaturated fats (these are the "good" fats that help to lower blood cholesterol), but all nuts have a high energy content. For example, peanuts contain 2431 kJ per 100g, so you would need to limit your intake to about 30g portions and not eat them every day if you are trying to lose weight.