Question
Posted by: Stacey | 2012/01/12

Roaccutane - affected by other meds?

Is there any medication you are aware of which diminishes the efficacy of Roaccutane? Just that there are so many other things I am taking - Nizoral pills for a fungal infection, liver detox tablets, Mybulen and Migril to suppress my migraines, supplements for my brittle nails, EFA to boost my healthy fats, Dry Eye Caps, Atarax for itching and depression - is any of this actually interfering with the function of Roaccutane? Is there a medication which does, which I shd make sure I do not take?

By the way I have one more query about Roaccutane - do those on extremely high doses (like 1.5mg/kg) usually take it for shorter than those on lower doses? Is there any sort of ideal cumulative dose?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Stacey

Higher dose treatments are indeed often given for a shorter duration. There are cumulative doses listed for isotretinoin which state that treatment should continue until total cumulative dose is 100 mg/kg for moderate acne, or 150 mg/kg for severe acne.

None of the medicines you've listed should reduce the efficacy of roaccutane.

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2012/01/13

Hi Stacey

Reply to pharmacist