Question
Posted by: Trish | 2009-06-30

roac over 18 years

HI Pharm I am one of those ppl roaccutane has not worked for - have taken it 7 times over the past 18 years, am now turning 36. Longest spell was one year on the drug. I first got severe acne at age 12 and it has never gone away. Are u aware of anything else I could try? As I am black, is it safe for me to use lightening creams and if so which ones? My skin is quite marked and pitted and i still get bad acne. I am also very hairy but hirsutism profiles have always come back with a normal reading.

thanks

Patricia

ps also, I have a young daughter. If she carries my acne gene, should I put her on strong meds the minute she gets it? My parents told me not to put anything on my face and i suffered terrible ridicule at school and varsity from the age of 11 - 18 before I was allowed to use Roac, which only helped a bit. But it may help my child a lot if she gets it. When I see acne, should I rush to put her on it? My skin pitted and scarred horribly because I wasn' t allowed to use anything for my acne for the first 7 years I had it. I feel if I had taken the drug then, it may have been effective.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Trish

I honestly believe that you should have your (and your daughter's, should she also battle with it) condition treated under the supervision of a dermatologist. This doctor should be able to advise on suitable treatment for your scarring suitable for your skin-type, as well as suitable treatment and preventative measures. Best of luck!