Question
Posted by: AnoN | 2011/11/16

Rivotril

Hello,
I have read in previous posts that you are not a fan of Rivotil, however this is my last resort
(for severe anxiety- even though I have been through CBT which helped alot I still take my blood pressure 8 times a day and look up the symptoms of a brain tumour every time a get a head ache.)
Cipramil tripled my anxiety and panic attacks and gave me brain zaps/Zoloft was the great start to my heart palpations/the list goes on, was taking Urbanol for a while and now as a last resort I have being prescribed Rivotril, which ...so far so good except I am so so tired and sleepy , will this lessen with time or should I find another way of combating this side effect,I am extremely sensitive to medicine and any mood altering substance, as such I can only drink decaf coffee and no cola’ s, so a caffeine fix is a definite no?

Have nice afternoon

I'm not at all denying that Rivotril can, used properly, be really helpful. I suppose my concern is that among some docs it seems to have become something of a fashion, and seems to be prescribed less carefully, and as part of some weird and complex cocktails, with reasons that are not clear. I'm sure some psychiatrists can use it properly, I would not like it to be used by GPs except on the advice of a psychiatrist.
Some antidepressants can help some people with anxiety very usefully ; but for some, they seem too stimulating, and may worsen anxiety symptoms.
All members of this family are essentially sedative tranquillizers, and at least at first may be experienced as very sedative, but usually this wears off, often within days.
Caffeine may indeed help you stay awake, but could inflame the anxiety, which would hardly be helpful. There is a drug called Provigil which is used in special circumstances, which enhances awakeness and alertness without being stimulating in the way that caffeine and amphetamines are, but I have not seen it used in this context.
Generally, one would expect the extra doziness to wear off before too long. But be careful of criving and operating machines under this influence ; and of course alcohol will add unhulpfully to its side-effects

1