Question
Posted by: sammy | 2010-05-06

Ritalin eye movement disorder

Dear Doctor. Ritalin causes my eye muscles to pull. I often feel that my eyes are locked in one postion and I have to pull my eyes up to try to relieve the tightness. This only happens when I take Ritalin. I have been on Ritalin for about 21 years. How do I report this to the FDA becuase my doctor says that this cannot happen. Please advise as I am now at the end of my rope.

I haven't come across this problem, but then I don't use this drug much. However, some medications do indeed produce some odd eye symptoms, including odd movements of the eyes, though I haven't heard of this in connection to Ritalin. IS Ritalin the onl drug you are taking ? If not, it could be another drug, useful in itself, which could be doing this - and sometimes one can take a further medication along with the dugs which can cause this, to reduce or stop this unwanted effect.
As for the FDA, they will have an online website through which one may be able to report such effects - and there is also the South African Medicines Control Council, based in Cape Town, who may be interested.

1