Question
Posted by: Carlisle | 2012/10/23

Ritalin and depression

Hi there,

I have been on several anti-depressants over the last two years and struggled to find something that really works. I have been diagnosed with depression and a little borderline disorder. My psychiatrist prescribed Ritalin to me this morning. I just wanted to find out if it helps with depression. I don''t always understand how these things work.

Thank you,

C

I would never use Ritalin, alone, as a primary treatment for Depression. BUT it can be used in combination with antidepressants in some situations. There is a condition like Treatment-Resistant Depression, in which a depression does not respond well enough to a prperly tried range of the usual antidepressants in the proper doses and for an appropriate length of time. Then a specialist may try various strategies, including combining some selecterd antidepressants, or adding Adjuvants, drugs which may enhance the benefits of antidepressants, and these adjuvants may include ritalin, ot thyroid hormone, or other meds, and can be useful.
I\d have hoped that your doc would have discussed this with you and explained it, and dealt with any anxieties you had. Try it, and let us know how it goes.

3
Posted by: Carlisle | 2012/11/20

The ritalin didn''t work so I am now on Wellbutrin. A bit scared cause I don''t know if it''s going to work. The ritalin made me extremely aggressive/annoyed/depressed. Do you think the WB is a better choice?

Reply to Carlisle
Posted by: Carlisle | 2012/10/23

Thank you, he said to try it for a while, and let him know how it works, glad I discovered this site.

Reply to Carlisle