Question
Posted by: Lizelle | 2012/04/17

Ritalin

After consulting with our Dr, we started my son (9 years old) on a 5 day trial period of Ritalin LA - 20mg. The teacher immediately noticed a difference in class, but I am just concerned about one side effect I''m noticing - apart from him not wanting to eat once he''s taken it, he is very emotional. He told me he feels sad, and he cries for everything/anything. How long will this last? Thanks

Bongi's comments and experience are really useful. Obviously these are valid concerns, best discussed with the doctor who is prescribing the Ritalin.
Remember that while ordinary Ritalin doses wear off sooner, Ritalin LA is a long-acting form designed to be absorbed more slowly, and last longer after an individual dose.
When he feels sad, talk about this gently with him, to better understand what he feels sad about, and to explore with him other ways he could choose to think about the things that are currently making him feel sad.

2
Posted by: Bongi | 2012/04/17

My son has been on it for abt 5 years now. He also used to feel down and emotional, but that passed within a year. The food though is still a problem. I have to make him eat. I only give him the pills on school days. If he hasn''t taken it he eats so well on weekends. I don''t like how he is not eating but there is such improvement in his school work when he has taken the pills that I have decided that I will keep him on.

Reply to Bongi