Question
Posted by: Sue | 2011/02/17

Ritalin ?

Hello doc. More and more, I am realising I have a problem with excitement/adrenalin (this has been going on for years)...sounds weird I know but I am almost always contantly " wired up" . At work, I jump around like a jack in the box, speak to quickly, I cannot watch a full movie and almost never sit down and watch tv at night or on weekends, I almost always have to have something to do or planned for the day (luckily I have a pressured full time job!). I cannot read something without flying through it, I write too fast, I think about almost everything else that has to be done while my kids are talking to me (TERRIBLE!!!), almost everything I do has to be done at full speed. I am naturally an anxious person and am on Rivotrol now (1 at night...I sleep like a baby on it) and am too scared to take one during the day as am scared it will make me fall asleep). I dont eat well (as I feel more energetic on an empty stomach). The other day I was thinking that my 3-4 glasses of wine at night are way too much and must do something about this, but enjoy it as it seems to wake me up to the point I can go until midnight doing household chores, planning the next day for kids, to-do notes etc. Last night I read something about ADD / ADHD and alcohol / drug abuse and this syndrome causing addiction because it puts one on a high and keeps them feeling alive.....(!!!!! alarm bells started to ring in my head! ). As a child I was contantly active and did cart-wheels in the shopping centres and down the streets, was awful at school work (however, the opposite is true now as I have excelled in my career and have been promoted several times). Although I seem to have this wired up feeling, I DO NOT exercise (I should be chanelling it correctly!). I last saw a phycologist last year who said we can maybe look at ritalin....What do you think of all the above? I am a female, aged 34 yrs.

Hallo Sue
You may have an underlying general anxiety disorder, and there are medications one can take long term while avoiding habit forming medications. I suggest that you see a psychiatrist (they know which medications are the safest to take long term) and will be able to monitor your response to it. Rivotril can cause dependency and is maybe not the best medication to use long term. Ritalin is only prescribed by neurologists and may help for ADD but I don't think you have symptoms of ADD. You are drinking too much wine if you take 3-4 glasses every night and you should not use alcohol and Rivotril together.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/02/18

Hallo Sue