Question
Posted by: Nicolai | 2010-10-25

Risperlet w/t Prozac

Hi Dr,

Me again. My mother was sent home from Tambo Memorial after the Psychiatrist did a telephonic consultation (4 weeks in hospital) - diagnosed with severed Bipolar and depression. The meds to take home was a few Risperlet and Lilly Fluoxetine (Lorien). It took two weeks of her being off the meds to get the money to buy them (R1400 later) So on the the weekend I got her to a GP to get a script and also a sleeping tablet as she is not really sleeping.

Can she take the Risperlet (2x 2mg Once at night, one Fluoxetine in the morning) with the Fluoxetine? Is it safe to take on the same day? How long taking the meds should we see an improvement as she was without meds for awhile till I could find the money for the meds?

Many thanks for your assistance once again. (I would have asked the NATALSPRUIT visiting Psychiatrist but they never did ''visit'' Tambo Memorial)

Hi Nic,
OK, if paying for the meds is a primary problem ( as it is for most of us !) then chat to your pharmacist, as there are cheaper generic versions of these meds available. Maybe sometimes the generic used in a state hospital is cheaper FOR THEM if they get it on a special tender, and might no be the cheapest variety available out here. There are often cheaper versions of Fluoxetine than the Lilly version, but your p[harmacist would know, and there are also more recently, cheaper generic versions of the excellent Risperdal / Risperidone.
There should be no problem taking Risperdal and Fluoxetine together, or in the timing you describe.
Unless there is an unusual slow-release form of risperidone, the drug usually lasts for around 4 hours, so it might be better to take a 2 mg dose at 2 different times of day, rather than at once, to spread out the benefits of taking it.
Remember pharmacists charge an automatic fee included in the cost to us of meds, for providing their professional expertise on this sort of question, so don't hesitate to ask them.
Its hard to answer exactly your questiopn about "how long before you see benefits", as much depends on the original condition, the dose, and
how long she's been on it already. Antidepressants like Fluoxetine usually take 2 weeks or even a bit more to show their full likely benefits ( and if there is no useful improvement after 2 - 3 weeks, one would change to a different AD. Risperdal can show some benefits within 15 minutes, though for other target symptoms it might take some days to show the benefits.

2
Posted by: Nicolai | 2010-10-25

Thanks you once again for helping me. xx

Reply to Nicolai

Hi Nic,