Posted by: chanty | 2009-04-09

I wonder if you might have some info for me. My son is 15 months old and doesnt sleep through the night. He cries and moans all night long. He has only ever slept through a handful of times since he was 6 months old. He is in creche, so he is sick often.
I had him at the paed in January, who prescribed Vallergan for 2 weeks. It helped him sleep. He then got Bronchitis, tonsillitis and ear infection and stopped sleeping at night again.
I took him to the paed again to see if there is a problem with why he doesnt sleep. The paed prescribed Risperdol (not sure of the spelling). He said we must use 0.15ml to start. He said we can use it up to 6 months. When he comes off, if he still doesnt sleep, we must take a look at ADHD.
Is this drug safe for such a small baby? He weighs 11.3kg and is 77cm. I dont want to harm my baby. If this is not safe, what are the complications associated with such a drug?

Expert ImagePharmacist

I'm also not comfortable with giving such a young child risperidone. The manufacturer of this product recommends using it in children between 5 and 12 years of age with disruptive behaviour disorders - Safety in younger children have not been established.

Posted by: Zoe | 2009-04-13

Chanty, I am shocked to read that a paediatrician is happy to put such a young baby onto an anti-psychotic, namely Risperdal! This is like trying to pull out daisies from one' s garden with a bull dozer!!! Absolutely frightening!
I SO wish I could speak to you personally - to discuss just when these sleeping issues started up with your little one - just what was happening in his life at the time - what his birth was like and generally how you and your husband have tried to deal with his difficulty in getting him off to sleep by himself.
I seriously think that the whole family unit needs to be involved in a ' sleep hygiene'  program where you can get group support and advice as I am totally aghast in this day and age how soon Dr' s grab the prescription pads to prescribe mind blowingly dangerous drugs for underdeveloped and very vulnerable brain structures in children who' s brains still continue to grow until they are at least 18 and at 15 months old, this little one' s brain is still brand new and not tailored at all to handle heavy duty psychiatric drugs. God forbid that a ' diagnosis'  is already handed out of ADHD before the child can barely walk or talk!
One thing is a certainty and that is that for children as young as your son - being in a creche daily, if his immunity is still perhaps on the slightly underdeveloped side, things such as catching colds, getting sinusitis, bronchitis, ear infections, etc, etc is *very* common.
Also worth remembering is that while some children as young as your son seem to thrive in creches - there are those children for whom this is still way too stressful and leaving them at home rather with a loving and dedicated child minder often solves a lot of symptoms which crop up in a creche environment.
No one is saying for children to not go to a loving creche which comes with good recommendations from other satisfied parents. But if you see that your son is not thriving there at the moment - why not try a home care sitution for a while with perhaps sleep modification help from experts in this field and you might well find in a very short space of time that your son no longer or hardly ever still gets all those various illnesses, he will absolutely NOT need to be on an anti-psychotic or ANYTHING other than healthy food, fruit, veggies, a loving nanny to take care of him and perhaps less stressful care facilities of him if he is allowed to remain home.
I am more than happy to help and support you some more through the situation you are facing now if you care to send me some kind of a response to this post of mine.

Reply to Zoe