Posted by: Roger | 2009-09-22

risperdal stock problems - change from Quicklets?

I have just been changed to risperdal quicklets, and am being cross taipered from zyprexa to it.

However the quicklet 4mg is discontinued, and the medical aid won' t pay for 2x2mg per day

Is there any difference between the quicklets and aspen risperdone tablets? My pharmacy suggested I changed to that

I am also contacting my psychiatrist, but am waiting for him to get back to me.

I haven't had experience with quicklets. As I understand them they are tablets specially designed to disperse / dissolve quickly when you put them in your moth, and hence easy to take. I'd have thought that Liquid preparations of risperidone ( there are also generic versions of the drug ) would have much the same benefits as the quicklets, and be even easier to titrate a varying dose. DO discuss this with your shrink, who should take care not to prescribe specific meds that are either not available, discontinued, or not covered by your medical aid.
ANY version of risperidone contains the same active drug, and should be largely interchangeable. If one is tapering UP one drug and down another, a liquid version may be easier to taper or rise, as one can vary the dose even more delicately if necessary