Question
Posted by: Liza | 2010-11-22

RIP

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:

- Knowing when to come in out of the rain 
- Why the early bird gets the worm 
- Life isn''t always fair 
- and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don''t spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate  teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch  and a teacher fired for reprimand ing an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student  but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses  and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn''t defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement. Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust, b y his wife, Discretion, by his daughter, Responsibility, and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers  I Know My Rights, I Want It Now, Someone Else Is To Blame, and I''m A Victim

Pleased to hear he was with you for many years - I live in Tshwane / Pretoria, and Common Sense hasn't been seen round here for decades. Nor any of his relatives.
I have just received a letter fropm the City Council threatening to cut off my water and electricity - though I pay their bills every month - because their fantasizing meter readers who haven't bothered to even try to read my meters for over a hear, falsely claim that this was because I have savage dogs loose ( I have no dogs ) AND because my garden gate is always locked ( it doesn't have a lock ).

1