Ringneck bird

Feathers breaking off / falling out, feathers hard and curly

Dear Anon

Cant help you with this one.

Posted by: TvR | 2009-11-20

If you are in Cape Town there are two vets I can recommend. One is at Tableview Vet Dr Leask and the other is Platterkloof - Dr Nishk

Reply to TvR

Thanks for all the advice. I don' t know what is wrong with her, she really is my spoilt brat, and she is with me most of the day. We went on holiday in April and my daughter was looking after the birds (we have 2), when we came back, I found her like that. She is on a very good diet, on the packet it is specially for ringnecks, and I also add vitamins to her water. If I am not around, she screams all the time. She enjoys walking on the grass and I thought maybe she picked up something there?

Posted by: Annemarie | 2009-09-03

Maybe your bird is bored? Provide it with lots of toys and a variety of fruit and veg in addition to the usual parrot feed. (Google african ringneck for lots of sites with answers) I read somewhere that birds feel very exposed in their cages with no ' private space'  and have since then draped a corner of all my birds'  cages with a cloth, and to my delight they do have a nap there during the day! They also need stimulation and attention, so try to keep it where the family is mostly, to keep it entertained. Good luck.

Reply to Annemarie
Posted by: Cheryl | 2009-09-02

Yes, I agree with anonymous, please don' t give him/her seeds as these are made mainly of oil and can damage the liver. Perhaps take birdie to the vet (avian vets are hard to find, if you are in Joburg I can recommend someone) to test for " Beak and Feaher" . The pellets that are mentioned above are really good but if your ringneck hasn' t had these before it takes some getting used to.
Good Luck!

Reply to Cheryl

Are you sure its not plucking its feathers? Some birds do this, whether its due to stress or diet. Our ringneck only stopped plucking its feathers after we changed its diet (it was featherless for 3yrs). No more sunflowerseeds, JUST bird feed and Palm Oil mixed with it. Or you can buy bird pellets that is specifically for plumage problems at the Vet.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-09-01

Gosh - really?

Reply to Chill