Question
Posted by: Brian Lottering | 2012-09-18

Ringing in my ears .

Hi Doctor , Im 58 male and very fit . 3months ago had a bad cold . After experiencing a nasal drip and ears bunged up consulted my doctor . Had a course of antibiotics , since taken degoran plus( flu tablets) zinc to no avail . Cannot seem to clear my ear and nasal passages and now have ringing in my ears . After googling this sympton ..seems as though i have something called tinutitus . Not sure what I should do next . Do I contact a Ear nose and throat specialist in Eastlondon or do I see my doctor again . This is concerning for me as I would have thought with antibiotics antihestime , and all above taken I would have been back to normal again . What would you do ? Your input would be much appreciated . Cheers Brian

Brian

I suggest that you consult an ENT specialist, as it is possible that you have chronic sinusitis and that you might need an extended course of oral antibiotics, in conjunction with a cortico-steroids. The tinitus can be due to your blocked sinusses. It is possible that if the medication does not work, you might need an operation to clear your sinusses.