Posted by: Tilla | 2011-09-20

Ringing ears

Hallo. I have been struggling with my ears since I was a child (I am now 39). I use to swim all the time and have been diagnosed with "  swimmers ears"  many years ago. I have been to several doctors and several specialist over the years. Everytime there is a solution for the problem (it is usually either an infection or terrible itching). The last time I had middle ear infection was about 3 weeks ago. I believed that the infection has clear up. The problem now is that I have a constant ringing in my ears. Although it is not painfull, it is driving me nuts. My problem is that my medical aid has been exhausted and I can not now afford to see a specialist until next year. Is this ringing dangerous or can I live with it?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Tilla

You need to have the ear examined. It is impossible to speculate about a possible cause, as the tinnitis (ringing in the ears), my be caused by damage to the nerve for hearing. An audiogram can establish this. If infection is contributing, leaving it till next year would not be wise. I suggest you get medical advice regarding your problem.

Posted by: Margie | 2011-11-09

ringing in ears for as long i can remeber.
doctor put me on stugeron but still no relief.
dont know what to do now.

Reply to Margie
Posted by: Dilly | 2011-10-16

I found just what I was ndeeed, and it was entertaining!

Reply to Dilly