Posted by: Anon | 2009-03-27

Rights to see ICU patients if not family

I really need some advice.. my boyfriend is in ICU at fourways life.. he is living with me but his family have banned me from seeing him or having any access to ICU or the doctors and I am not allowed any progress reports or anything.. do I have any rights at all??

He is in a coma but if he wakes up and asks for me am I then allowed to speak to him? He is over 21?

Please advise.

Unfortunately, only his family is allowed to see him but appeal to his doctor, in order for him to allow you to see him.

Posted by: Anon2 | 2009-03-27

Why have his parents banned you from seeing you??
If you explain to the head nurse that you LIVE with him, they will allow you to go in. Thing is, they try to minimise germs in the ICU,
due to the fragile state of the patients, if any of them pick up a cold or flu, they could die from it.
But if you LIVE with your boyfriend, you basically have the same germs.
I suggest you phone the head nurse in the ICU, tell her that you live with him and need to see him. Take down her name and GO SEE HIM.

Reply to Anon2