Question
Posted by: Sunshine1 | 2010/01/13

Rights regarding Breastfeeding emplyees

Hello

Please could you advise me as to what my rights are as a breastfeeding mother.

i have a 4 month old baby and i return to work on Monday 18th January. I have already made arrangements with my bosses to start work a bit late and leave a bit early so that i can continue breastfeeding my daughter for at least her first year. I did however have to sacrafice my lunch hour to do this.

My question though is what rights do i have regarding taking time during the day to express the milk for the 2 feeds i will be missing during the day to keep up my milk supply for my baby and to allow me to be able to provide feeds for her for the following day at creche via expressed milk?

thank you in advance for your assistance in this regard.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

Re: Rights regarding breastfeeding employees

You do have rights to take time off during the day. In particular in terms of the Basic Conditions of Employment Act you are entitled to take off at least half an hour after five hours work.

2
Posted by: Purple | 2010/01/22

You can also mention to your boss that your baby will be sick less often, and will recover faster if on breastmilk rather than formula, so the two breaks you take for expressing each day will help you to be off work less.

So long as you have a reasonable human being for a boss and your work quality doesn' t suffer, there should be some understanding.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: labour lawyer | 2010/01/18

Reply to labour lawyer