Question
Posted by: carin | 2009-10-06

rights

Been married for 34 years by a.n. contract. Husband worked for 22 years to age 33 (1997), then took package to start own business which was unsuccessful. He never contributed to household or any expenses after that. I' ve been working for past 19 years since 1990 to contribute. We' ve lost all policies, med aid, pension as a result of inadequate income. He took 2nd bond on paid up home after starting his business in 1997, but I' m paying for it + rates, taxes, etc, because of no income on his side. I pay for all expenses including his personal and medical expenses. I also paid for the stand on which we built our house in ' 85 as well as all furniture and furnishings. He has done no maintenance on the property in all these years. I' ve contributed a lot towards this property and don' t want to lose the only stable
item we own. What are my rights, can he be forced to contribute in any way? If I leave he would have to sell the house for a minimal amount and both of us would be left with nothing. I need to stay in order to try and keep the property, because my income from own business is not adequate to buy anything else or live a decent life. Salaries in my town are pay to littlel to provide for living on my own thus I try to run my own business which provides a little better. he has refused several offers for work and has no intention of generating an income.

Expert ImageDivorce support expert

Pls contact me for a legal referral

info@sadsa.net

1
Posted by: Rick | 2009-10-06

You are best served by contacting an attorney, it seems very complicated, but as I understand the law, when you are married ANC without accrual whatever is in your own name is what you are liable for, debts or benefits, you dont share the others benefits or debts....this is irrespective of who paid for what, who contributed what to whom.

If you want to fight it out its going to cost you hugely in court.

regards
Rick

Reply to Rick