Question
Posted by: Thato Tinte | 2010/06/24

Right Side Migraine for 3 days non stop

Dear Doc

I have had a headache on the right side of my face (eye area and around) for the past 3 days non stop. My neck is also stiff on the right hand side. It started 3 days ago and hasn''t stopped despite having taken Adco-Dols as well as occasional Grandpa''s. My mother has been diagnosed with migraines and as a result i have been having headaches all my life from mild to severe (although i have never been medically diagnosed with genetic migraines). I would normally take 1 Adcodol and would feel fine after a few hours, if it gets too severe i''d take a Grandpa and be okay (i however am aware that Grandpa is unhealthy and really limit my intake). This however has not worked for the past 3 days and i am getting concerned. I also feel slightly nauseaus (although havent vomitted) and also get dizzy now and again.

I am currently on the Contraceptive Patch (Ortho Evra) and its my second month and have had no side effects except occasional moods. I have also been on the Anti-Depressant Aropax for 6 months and am weaning myself off the medication as this is my final month of use. So i have been taking half a pill everyday since last week and i have been fine till the sudden headache 3 days ago.

I am quiet worried that something may be wrong and will look into going to a doctor this week. Can you perhaps give some light on what is going on as i have never experienced this before.

Regards,
Worried Female

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Thato,

One of the main problems with taking painkillers for headaches is that it often leads to Medication Overuse Headache (MOH). MOH is a problem that occurs in headache sufferers who have to take painkillers on a regular basis - the headaches become more frequent and more severe! Because of this, the patient increases the dosage and takes the drugs more often, and a vicious circle is set up, making the headaches worse and worse.

The answer therefore is not to rely on medication or painkillers! The correct way to deal with the problem is to have a proper diagnosis of the causes of the headache. If the causes are treated, the headaches no longer occur, and it is no longer necessary to rely on potentially harmful “rescue” medication. To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

1
Posted by: Headache expert | 2010/06/24

Dear Thato,

Reply to Headache expert