Posted by: Hendrik Groen | 2011-10-14

Right medicine for Bilharzia

I visited Mali in May and swam in the Niger river (with my son and family). During a health exam two months later in the Netherlands, it turned out that we all had antibodies for schistosomiasis/Bilharzia in our blood, indicating that we had been infected.

The tropical medicine center of Amsterdam university hospital (AMC) prescribed Stromectol (Ivermectin) for all of us. A one-time dose should be enough.

My question is the following. On various websites about this disease and also reading the information for patients enclosed with the pills we were given, it never mentions that this medicine as a way to treat this particular disease. Stromectol seems to be for various worm infections. Different medicines, specifically for Bilharzia are mentioned on various
websites . So were we given the appropriate medication?

Please email your reply.

Hendrik Groen

Schistosomiasis is readily treated using a single oral dose of the drug praziquantel yearly. I do suggest a yearly kidney ultrasound and kidney function test.