Question
Posted by: footsie | 2008/09/29

right foot pain

I am having pain in my right foot, on the underside, along the underside of my instep. To descirbe the pain:-It feels almost like it is going to go into cramp, but then it doesnt cramp. This has been going on for about a week...firstly only sometimes in the early morning while I was just starting to wake up, but is increasing to during the day as well. What could this be, and what to do about it?

Dear Footsie
You may have a condition called plantar fasciitis - see http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/plantar-fasciitis/DS00508
It is caused by overexertion of the tissue of the sole of the foot and sometimes very minute micro tears develop in this tissue. Medication gives just symptomatic relief and physiotherapy is sometimes needed. If persistent you need to see a podiatrist to get a special insole to wear - this takes some of the stress off of the plantar fascia tissue and gives it time to heal.