Question
Posted by: Trace | 2008/09/03

Right Decision

Please tell me that I have made the right decision.
Went for last Depo Injection 18th February 2008. Hubby and I want another Baby. Went to see FS on 21st May and he gave me Postoval to bring on my period. Stated AF 18/6. Saw Gynae day 14 and he did a Scan. Showed the follicle of 19cm. BD that night and twice the next day. FS said that If no AF by the 17th July that I go for a blood test which came back negative. Saw him again for another scan and he gave me 5X Duphaston to bring on period. Did not work either no AF. Gaveme another months supply of Postoval of which I drank the last one last Friday and still no AF.
My decision was to go on the Pill for 3 months to see if I can normalise my cycle. The Clinic sister where I go (very nice and I know her well) said that it is a good idea. She gave me 3 months supply of Nordette and said that it will work to normalise my cycle and that she has seen it work well after somebody has stopped the Depo injection.
I just feel that I am exhausting my medical aid and with no results.
Was thinking that I want a summer baby anyway so if I fall pregnant in January/February I will be happy. Will make an appointment with FS say Dec/Jan.
What do you guys think, is it the right decision.

Trace

Dear Trace

The decision to the pill for 3 months is certainly a rational decision and this would indeed assist in normalising the endometrium (lining of the womb), which is often significantly affected by Depovera. The so-called follicle of 19mm on scan should have been monitored further to establish whether this was in fact a follicular cyst and not necessarily one that would contain or release an egg. In the case of a follicular cyst this may explain why the Postoval and Duphaston did not have the desired effect since the dosage in both products is much lower than would be necessary to induce the withdrawal bleed. I certain that the Nordette would have the desired effect and it may not always be necessary to use it for the full 3 months.

Answered by: Dr. M.I.Cassim