Posted by: Elaine | 2009-01-29

My mother have a very, very sore right shoulder, arm. She did go for x-raxs which showed nothing. they also did do a scan which also did not show anything. there is always pain in her arm and she said that is sometimes feels like a inside flesh pain in the topper part of her arm. she did went for fiso but it did not work. she drinks anti-inflamentory pils, she has got creams like freeze, and other things for mussle pains, and lots more that she drinks.
She also says that it is very sore when trying to pick up her arm above her head.
What can be the problem? Hope you would be able to assist.

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Elaine

My diagnosis over the long distance is that your mother more than likely is suffering from a rotator cuff tear – the rotator cuff is the tendon which connects the inside muscle of the shoulder to the humeral head. If you want to look at our website ( and look under “rotator cuff tear”, you will find more details about this condition. One should note that if she does suffer such a tear, it will not be seen on an x-ray and that it is often missed on ultrasound scans. The best advice I could give you is that she should be examined by a shoulder specialist who would be able to make the diagnosis and advise further treatment. If this was a tear of the rotator cuff, an arthroscopic repair usually leads to total relief and full recovery.

Thank you.