Question
Posted by: Ziggy | 2010/01/22

Ridgeback recovering from Cat flu

Our Ridgeback puppy now 7 months spent the past week in hospital due to Cat flu. She is at home but two things are bothering me (a) she is extremely thin and what can I give her to build up some fat again - she is eating her normal food and (b) she is still lethargic and only wags her tail once in a while. Will it take a while for her to recover and be her old self again?

Dear Ziggy

They take a while to fully recover from cat flu. Try some nutristim gel, essentiale tablets.

2
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010/01/24

Dear Ziggy

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Chill | 2010/01/22

See what the cvet says, but in my opinion, a dog that is just recovering from a serious illness should not be overloaded with food/calories until it is clearly feeling healthy again, because excess food is simply another thing for its body to have to cope with.

See ifyou can get a tube of Nutrostim (from the vet, and I' ve occasionally seen it in Dischem) and see if she' ll take some - it' s in a tube like toothpaste, it sort of looks like Marmite, and mostly dogs love it - you can put it on a biscuit or let her lick it off your finger or directly from the tube. Only a bit is needed at a time, just until her appetite returns.

Reply to Chill