Question
Posted by: ASHLEY | 2011/09/26

RICE VS POTATOES

I dont like rice, neither my family so therefore I I never cook it. But we love potatoes. I always cut my potatoes in chunks and cook it in water with 1 tablespoon of Ina Paarman''s vegetable stock, it gives it a delicious flavour, I dont add anything else to it, no spices or salt and pepper , Is this fattening? We have one medium potato per person at dinner. I have noticed when I request what my weight should be for my age and height it gives a 14 kilo play, surely that cant be right it says I should weigh between 58 and 72 kg. I am 169 tall and 61yrs 64.6 kg. old. if I am 72 kg them my bmi will be 25 . but being 64.6 my bmi is 23. Is there no test to give us a more real reading.

Dear Ashley
There are many different ways of measuring if a person is overweight, underweight or just right, but many of the methods require individual measurements to be taken of variables such as impedance, displacement of a volume of water, etc. So the BMI is a quick and painless method of getting an idea of a person's build and weight. Your present BMI of 22,5 is close to the ideal of 22 for adult women, so you certainly don't need to worry. If you weighed 72 kg you would just be above the normal range with a BMI of 25,2 and you would probably start wondering if you should lose a few kg. Potatoes as such as not fattening and if you eat them without butter or margarine or mayonnaise or sour cream (i.e added fat at 37 kJ per gram), then they only provide 361 kJ per 100g. Unfortunately potatoes have a high glycaemic index (GI), so they are not recommended for people with insulin problems who should rather eat sweet potatoes which have a lower GI. If you serve your potatoes with lean meat or fish then they make a perfectly reasonable meal.
Enjoy

1

Dear Ashley
Enjoy