Posted by: Ang | 2009-06-18

Rice Milk

How is the nutritional value of Rice Milk compared to diary / goats milk?

My 3 year old has ulcerative colitis, which translates into chronic diarrhea. He was also diagnosed with a severe soya allergy, and seems to be reacting to the soya lechiten in formula milk, and the cow’ s milk seems to affect his colitis, so we are now trying Rice Milk. The worrying factor is the chronic diarrhea, we are worried about malnutrition, so he has a multivit twice a day, 3 normal meals, snacks of fruit / rice cookies when ever he feels like it, Rooibos Tea / Diluted Fruit Juice in the Day, and then about 500ml of Milk in the evening.

Dear Ang
The problem is that the nutritional composition of rice milk is not listed in the SA Food Tables, so unless you can look on the label of the specific type of rice milk you are using, I can unfortunately not compare rice milk and cow's milk for you. If you can check on the label of your rice milk and list the nutritional information for me per 100g (post a new message on the Message Board), then I can give you an opinion. The only other alternative is for you to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that she/he can assess your son's diet for adequacy and work out a diet for him that takes his special needs into consideration. In view of your son's ulcerative colitis, it is essential that his diet should be supervised during his childhood by a dietitian on a regular basis to ensure normal growth and development.