Question
Posted by: anon | 2011/05/19

Rice cakes

I am not alergic to wheat, however when I eat bread my exzyme tends to flare up. Are rice cakes a better alternatively? How many can I eat every day?

Dear Rice Cakes
I am not sure what you mean when you say that your exzyme flares up? Do you mean eczema (a skin condition)? If your eczema does flare up when you eat wheat, it may well be a good idea to avoid eating foods that contain wheat (bread, biscuits, cakes, pies, most commercial products that list wheat on their labels, etc). Rice cakes are made of rice, which generally does not cause a reaction in individuals who are allergic to wheat or gluten (a protein found in wheat, barley, rye, spelt, oats, kamut, and titricale). You would have to experiment with rice cakes to see if they make the eczema worse or not. If they do, then you may be allergic or sensitive to some other ingredient in baked goods and in such a case it would be advisable to have allergy tests done to identify exactly which ingredient(s) you react to.

1

Dear Rice Cakes