Question
Posted by: kathy | 2008/06/09

Ribbon stools

Dear Doctor

could haemoroids cause a person to have "ribbon stools". It has been more than a year now since I had a normal stool. My stools are all pale in colour and ribbon like. I am fine, but have had severe weight loss since december. 11kg. However, I put the weight loss down to the fact that I had a Nissen Repair in december and I think my body is still adjusting to the new "stomach". I eat a lot less and dont really have a great appetite. All the tests my doctor did for thyroid, diabetes came back clear and she wants to now do a colonoscopy. But I dont want to have that done and feel the weight loss is my operation in December and the ribbon stools could be haemoroids, which I know for a fact I do have. What do you think?

Dear Kathy
No,hemorroids would not cause pale ribbon-like stools. I agree with your doctor, rather do the colonoscopy ( they do it under anaesthetic so it is not painful or uncomfortable)and it is really important that they exclude any narrowing or tumours in bowel. Pale stools can also be caused by problems in the biliary system.