Question
Posted by: Gerhard | 2008/10/06

Rib muscle injury (intercostal muscles?)

Hitting a heavy bag for boxing, I injured my rib muscles 4 months ago. Gave it a lot of rest and medical attention and it seemed to be OK again.
Did some right hook punches this morning (not the first time after the injury healed) and oblique mucsle exercises (like Russion twists) and now painful again. How do I remedy this?

Hi Gerhard

It might be a new injury, actually, maybe unrelated. Unlikely, but possible. More likely though it's as a result of weakness caused by the previous injury, which is why it's often difficult to overcome these niggles, especially in the rib area - can be very stubborn.

I think you need to give it some rest until the immediate pain goes away, and then you can start to rehab it again. I'm not sure what medical attention you gave it last time. It's so difficult to rehab these muscles though, as I'm sure you're aware. So rest is the answer for now, and then when you do return, you may just need to be careful about how you develop the intensity of the training, and perhaps give it more time than you may have done now (I'm speculating, since I don't know what was done this time).